IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The success of India's democracy / edited by Atul Kohli.
Contributor(s): Kohli, Atul.Material type: BookSeries: Contemporary South Asia (Cambridge, England): 6.Publisher: New Delhi : Cambridge University Press, 2001Description: xiii, 298 p. ; 22 cm.ISBN: 9788175961074 (pbk.); 8175961074 (pbk.).Subject(s): Democracy -- India | Central-local government relations -- India | India -- Politics and government -- 20th centuryDDC classification: 320.954 SUC Online resources: Table of contents
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||320.954 SUC 000148 (Browse shelf)||Checked out||13/10/2021||000148|
Browsing Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore Shelves Close shelf browser
|320.954 STA 000138 State and nation in the context of social change /||320.954 STA 007765 State and politics in India /||320.954 SUB 001291 India is for sale||320.954 SUC 000148 The success of India's democracy /||320.954 SWA 000056 स्वतंत्र भारत में राजनीति : कक्षा 12 के लिए पाठ्यपुस्तक /||320.954 TOM 016406 Ancient and medieval indian thought : themes and traditions /||320.954 TRA 000901 Transforming India : social and political dynamics of democracy /|
Includes bibliographical references (p. 270-286) and index.
1. Introduction / Atul Kohli
I. Historical origins
2. Indian democracy: the historical inheritance / Sumit Sarkar
II. Political institutions and democratic consolidation
3. India's federal design and multicultural national construction / Jyotirindra Dasgupta
4. Center-state relations / James Manor
5. Making local government work: local elites, panchayati raj and governance in India / Subrata K. Mitra
6. Redoing the constitutional design: from an interventionist to a regulatory state / Lloyd I. Rudolph and Susanne Hoeber Rudolph
7. The dialectics of Hindu nationalism / Amrita Basu
III. Social demands and democratic deepening
8. The struggle for equality: caste in Indian politics / Myron Weiner
9. Sharing the spoils: group equity, development, and democracy / Pranab Bardhan
10. Social movement politics in India: institutions, interests, and identities / Mary Katzenstein, Smitu Kothari and Uday Mehta.
"How has democracy taken root in India in the face of a low-income economy, poverty, illiteracy and ethnic diversity? Atul Kohli brings together leading scholars of Indian politics to explore this intriguing anomaly. Themes addressed include politics, ethnicity, federalism, caste, poverty, and Hindu nationalism. This is a tightly conceived volume on an important and controversial topic, which will be as useful in the classroom as it will be for professionals and general readers. It is a book for anyone who wants to learn more about the world's largest democracy."--BOOK JACKET.