IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Urban ecology / edited by Kevin J. Gaston.
Contributor(s): Gaston, Kevin J.Material type: BookSeries: Ecological reviews.Publisher: Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010Description: ix, 318 pages : illustrations, map ; 26 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9780521743495 (pbk.); 9780521760973 (hbk.).Subject(s): Urban ecology (Sociology) | City planning -- Economic aspects | Sustainable development | Urban environment | Social behaviour | Green belts | Social welfareDDC classification: 307.76 URBA Online resources: Table of contents
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||307.76 URBA 008593 (Browse shelf)||Available||008593|
Browsing Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore Shelves Close shelf browser
|No cover image available|
|307.76 URB.A 010876 Urban livelihoods /||307.76 URB.A 010918 Urban megaprojects : a worldwide view /||307.76 URB.A 011214 Urban informalities : reflections on the formal and informal /||307.76 URBA 008593 Urban ecology /||307.76 VAN 007057 Vanguards of globalization : port-cities from the classical to the modern /||307.76 VOL 007475 The voluntary city : markets, communities and urban planning /||307.76 WAC 004490 Urban outcasts : a comparative sociology of advanced marginality /|
Includss bibliographical references and index.
1. Urban ecology / Kevin J. Gaston --
2. Urbanisation / Kevin J. Gaston --
3. Urban environments and ecosystem functions / Kevin J. Gaston, Zoe G. Davies and Jill L. Edmondson --
4. Individual species and urbanisation / Karl L. Evans --
5. Species diversity and urbanisation : patterns, drivers and implications / Gary W. Luck and Lisa T. Smallbone --
6. Urbanisation and alien invasion / Stefan Klotz and Ingolf Kühn --
7. Interactions between people and nature in urban environments / Richard A. Fuller and Katherine N. Irvine --
8. Urban ecology and human social organisation / Paige S. Warren [and others] --
9. Urban ecology and human health and wellbeing / Jo Barton and Jules Pretty --
10. Bringing cities alive : the importance of urban green spaces for people and biodiversity / Jon Sadler [and others] --
11. Integrating nature values in urban planning and design / Robbert Snep and Paul Opdam --
12. Urban futures / Michael L. McKinney.
"This is the urban century in which, for the first time, the majority of people live in towns and cities. Understanding how people influence, and are influenced by, the 'green' component of these environments is therefore of enormous significance. Providing an overview of the essentials of urban ecology, the book begins by covering the vital background concepts of the urbanisation process and the effect that it can have on ecosystem functions and services. Later sections are devoted to examining how species respond to urbanisation, the many facets of human-ecology interactions, and the issues surrounding urban planning and the provision of urban green spaces. Drawing on examples from urban settlements around the world, it highlights the progress to date in this burgeoning field, as well as the challenges that lie ahead"--