IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Blocked by caste : economic discrimination in modern India / edited by Sukhadeo Thorat and Katherine Newman ; with a foreword by Kaushik Basu.
Contributor(s): Thorat, Sukhadeo | Newman, Katherine S.Material type: BookPublisher: New Delhi ; Oxford University Press, 2010Description: xxi, 377 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.ISBN: 9780198060802 (hbk.); 0198060807 (hbk.).Subject(s): Caste -- Economic aspects -- India | Caste -- India | Discrimination -- Economic aspects -- India | Marginality, Social -- India | Social mobility -- IndiaDDC classification: 305.51220954 BLO Online resources: Table of contents
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||305.51220954 BLO 013070 (Browse shelf)||Available||013070|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||305.51220954 BLO 000677 (Browse shelf)||Available||000677|
Includes bibliographical references.
Introduction. Economic discrimination concept, consequences, and remedies / Sukhadeo Thorat and Katherine S. Newman
1. The legacy of social exclusion : a correspondence study of job discrimination in India's urban private sector / Sukhadeo Thorat and Paul Attewell
2. In the name of globalization : meritocracy, productivity, and the hidden language of caste / Surinder S. Jodhka and Katherine S. Newman
3. Where the path leads : the role of caste in post-university employment expectations / Ashwini Deshpande and Katherine S. Newman
4. Wage and job discrimination in the Indian urban labour market / S. Madheswaran and Paul Attewell
5. Caste system and pattern of discrimination in rural markets / Sukhadeo Thorat, M. Mahamallik and Nidhi Sadana
6. Inequality in health outcomes in India : the role of caste and religion / Vani K. Borooah
7. Caste and patterns of discrimination in rural public health care services / Sanghmitra S. Acharya
8. Segmented schooling : inequalities in primary education / Sonalde Desai, Cecily Darden Adams and Amaresh Dubey
9. Exclusion and discrimination in schools : experiences of Dalit children / Geetha B. Nambissan
10. Food security schemes and caste discrimination / Sukhadeo Desai and Joel Lee
11. Caste and ownership of private enterprises : consequences of denial of property rights / Sukhadeo Thorat, Debolina Kundu and Nidhi Sadana
12. Minority status and labour market outcomes : does India have minority enclaves? / Maitreyi Bordia Das
13. Caste, ethnicity, and religion : linkages with unemployment and poverty / Smita Das.