IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Linking the formal and informal economy : concepts and policies / edited by Basudeb Guha-Khasnobis, Ravi Kanbur, and Elinor Ostrom.
Contributor(s): Guha-Khasnobis, Basudeb | Kanbur, S. M. Ravi | Ostrom, Elinor.Material type: BookSeries: Studies in development economics: Publisher: Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2006Description: xvii, 294 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.ISBN: 0199230676 (alk. paper); 9780199230679 (pbk.).Subject(s): Informal sector (Economics) -- Developing countries -- Congresses | Informal sector (Economics) -- Government policy -- Developing countries -- CongressesDDC classification: 330 LIN Online resources: Table of contents only
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||330 LIN 002280 (Browse shelf)||Available||002280|
"The contributions were originally presented at a conference organized in Helsinki in September 2004 by the World Institute for Development Economics Research of the United Nations University (UNU-WIDER) in collaboration with the Expert Group on Development Issues (EGDI) at the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs"--Foreword.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1. Beyond formality and informality / Basudeb Guha-Khasnobis, Ravi Kanbur and Elinor Ostrom
Pt. I. Concepts and measurement
2. Bureaucratic form and the informal economy / Keith Hart
3. The global path : soft law and non-sovereigns formalizing the potency of the informal sector / Robert K. Christensen
4. The relevance of the concepts of formality and informality : a theoretical appraisal / Alice Sindzingre
5. Rethinking the informal economy : linkages with the formal economy and the formal regulatory environment / Martha Alter Chen
6. Formal and informal enterprises : concept, definition, and measurement issues in India / M. R. Narayana
Pt. II. Empirical studies of policies and interlinking
7. The impact of regulation on growth and informality : cross-country evidence / Norman V. Loayza, Ana Maria Oviedo and Luis Serven
8. Financial liberalization in Vietnam : impact on loans from informal, formal, and semi-formal providers / Robert Lensink, Mark McGillivray and Pham Thi Thu Tra
9. Blocking human potential : how formal policies block the informal economy in the Maputo corridor / Fredrik Soderbaum
10. Microinsurance for the informal economy workers in India / Basudeb Guha-Khasnobis and Rajeev Ahuja
11. Turning to forestry for a way out of poverty : is formalizing property rights enough? / Krister Andersson and Diego Pacheco
12. Voluntary contributions to informal activities producing public goods : can these be induced by government and other formal sector agents? Some evidence from Indonesian posyandus / Jeffrey B. Nugent and Shailender Swaminathan
13. Social capital, survival strategies, and their potential for post-conflict governance in Liberia / Amos Sawyer
14. Enforcement and compliance in Lima's street markets : the origins and consequences of policy incoherence towards informal traders / Sally Roever
15. Formalizing the informal : is there a way to safely unlock human potential through land entitlement? : a review of changing land administration in Africa / Liz Alden Wily.