IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | email@example.com
Labour in global production networks in India / edited by Anne Posthuma, Dev Nathan.
Contributor(s): Posthuma, Anne | Nathan, Dev.Material type: BookPublisher: New Delhi ; Oxford University Press, 2010Description: xvi, 373 p. ; 22 cm.ISBN: 9780198064138 (hb.); 0198064136.Subject(s): Labour market -- India -- Congresses | International business enterprises -- India -- Congresses | Globalization -- Economic aspects -- India -- CongressesDDC classification: 331.1230954 LAB Online resources: Table of contents
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||331.1230954 LAB 001977 (Browse shelf)||Available||001977|
Includes bibliographical references.
Foreword; Acknowledgements; Introduction: Scope for Aligning Economic and Social Upgrading within Global Production Networks in India (Anne Posthuma and Dev Nathan);
Section I: Conceptual and Governance Issues Related to Economic and Social Upgrading in Global Production Networks;
1. Global Aggregate Demand, Inequality and the Prospects for Decent Work (Dev Nathan);
2. Beyond 'Regulatory Enclaves': Challenges and Opportunities to Promote Decent Work in Global Production Networks (Anne Posthuma);
3. Reach and Depth of Responsible Production: Towards a Research Agenda (Peter Knorringa);
Section II: Sectoral Case Studies of Engagement in Global Production Networks by Indian Companies;
4. Global Production Networks and Decent Work in India and China Evidence from the Apparel, Automotive and Information Technology Industries (Gary Gereffi and Esra Guler);
5. Decent Work in Global Production Networks: Challenges for Vulnerable Workers (Stephanie Barrientos, Kanchan Mathur, and Atul Sood);
6. Footloose Capital, Intermediation and the Search for a 'High Road' in Low-Wage Industries (Meenu Tewari);
7. Labour Market Adjustment and Female Workers: Global Production and Expiry of Quotas in India's Textile and Garments Industry (Indira Hirway);
8. Global Value Chains and Small Producers and Workers in the Indian Agribusiness Sector: Governance, Upgrading Opportunities, Policies and Strategies (Sukhpal Singh);
9. Gender, Labour and Global Production Networks: Indigenous Women and NTFP-Based Livelihood (Govind Kelkar, Meenakshi Ahluwalia and Meenakshi Kumar);
10. Upgradation or Flexible Casualisation? Exploring the Dynamics of Global Value Chain Incorporation in the Indian Leather Industry (Sumangala Damodaran);
11. Cost Cutting Pressures and Labour Relations in Tamil Nadu's Automobile Components Supply Chain (T.G. Suresh);
12. Small Producers and Labour Conditions in Auto-parts and Components Industry in North India (Dinesh Awasthi, Sanjay Pal and Jignasu Yagnik);
13. Employment and Work in the Indian Software Outsourcing Industry (Carol Upadhya);
14. Labour Market Patterns and Trends in India's ICT Sector (Balwant Singh Mehta and Sandip Sarkar);
15. Conclusions (Dev Nathan and Anne Posthuma); List of Contributors.
Contributed articles presented at an international workshop of "Global Production Networks and Decent Work: Recent Experience in India and Global Trends" held at the Institute for Social and Economic Change in Bangalore from 18-20 November, 2007.