IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | email@example.com
World on the edge : how to prevent environmental and economic collapse / Lester R. Brown [Text]
By: Brown, Lester R.
Contributor(s): Earth Policy Institute.Material type: BookPublisher: New York W. W. Norton & Company 2011Description: xii, 240 p. ; 21 cm.ISBN: 9780393339499 (pbk.).Subject(s): Global environmental change | Economic development -- Environmental aspects | Global warming | Environmental protection | Environmental policy | Sustainable development | Environmental impact | Greenhouse effect | GlobalizationDDC classification: 363.7 BRO Online resources: Table of contents
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||363.7 BRO 001494 (Browse shelf)||Available||001494|
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1. On the edge
Part I. A deteriorating foundation
2. Falling water tables and shrinking harvests
3. Eroding soils and expanding deserts
4. Rising temperatures, melting ice and food security
Part II. The consequences
5. The emerging politics of food scarcity
6. Environmental refugees: the rising tide
7. Mounting stresses, failing states
Part III. The response: plan B
8. Building an energy-efficient global economy
9. Harnessing wind, solar and geothermal energy
10. Restoring the economy's natural support systems
11. Eradicating poverty, stabilizing population, and rescuing failing states
12. Feeding eight billion
Part IV. Watching the clock
13. Saving civilization.
We are in a race between political and natural tipping points. Can we close coal-fired power plants fast enough to save the Greenland ice sheet and avoid catastrophic sea level rise? Can we raise water productivity fast enough to halt the depletion of aquifers and avoid water-driven food shortages? Can we cope with peak water and peak oil at the same time? These are some of the issues skilfully distilled in World on the Edge. Bringing decades of research and analysis into play, it provides the responses needed to reclaim our future.