IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | email@example.com
The worlds of Indian industrial labour / edited by Jonathan P. Parry, Jan Breman, Karin Kapadia.
Contributor(s): Parry, Jonathan P | Breman, Jan | Kapadia, Karin.Material type: BookSeries: Contributions to Indian sociology. 9Occasional studies. Publisher: New Delhi : Sage Publications, 1999Description: xxxvi, 442 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.ISBN: 0761993959 (hbk.).Other title: Worlds of Indian industrial labour [Other title].Subject(s): Industrial relations -- India -- Congresses | Industrial policy -- India -- Congresses | Labor policy -- India -- Congresses | Human capital -- India | Labor supply -- IndiaDDC classification: 331.110954 WOR Online resources: Table of contents only
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||331.110954 WOR 001309 (Browse shelf)||Checked out||03/01/2020||001309|
Papers presented at the Worlds of Indian Industrial Labour, Amsterdam, 1997.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Introduction / Jonathan P. Parry
1. The study of industrial labour in post-colonial India - The formal sector: An introductory review / Jan Breman
2. Work and resistance in the Jharia coalfield / Dilip Simeon
3. On living in the kal(i)yug: Notes from Nagda, Madhya Pradesh / Christopher Pinney
4. Lords of labour: Working and shirking in Bhilai / Jonathan P. Parry
5. Just like a family? Recalling the relations of production in the textile industries of Surat and Bhiwandi, 1940-60 / Douglas E. Haynes
6. Hope and despair: Textile workers in Kanpur in 1937-38 and the 1990s / Chitra Joshi
7. Questions of class: The general strikes in Bombay, 1928-29 / Rajnarayan Chandavarkar
8. At the margins: Women workers in the Bengal jute industry / Samita Sen
9. The badli system in industrial labour recruitment: Managers' and workers' strategies in Calcutta's jute industry / Arjan de Haan.
10. Artisan labour in the Agra footwear industry: Continued informality and changing threats / Peter Knorringa
11. Gender ideologies and the formation of rural industrial classes in South India today / Karin Kapadia
12. Diamonds and Patels: A report on the diamond industry of Surat / Miranda Engelshoven
13. Asking for and giving baki: Neo-bondage, or the interplay of bondage and resistance in the Tamilnadu power-loom industry / Geert de Neve
14. The study of industrial labour in post-colonial India - The informal sector: A concluding review / Jan Breman.