IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | email@example.com
Urban women in contemporary India : a reader / edited by Rehana Ghadially.
Contributor(s): Ghadially, Rehana.Material type: BookPublisher: Los Angeles : Sage Publications, 2007Description: 372 pages : 24 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9780761935209 (paperback) .Subject(s): Urban women -- India -- Social conditions | Women's rights -- India | Feminism -- IndiaDDC classification: 305.420954091732 GHA
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||305.420954091732 GHA 009353 (Browse shelf)||Available||009353|
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Section I: Re-constructing Gender
1. Adolescence, Embodiment and Gender Identity: Elite Women in a Changing Society / Meenakshi Thapan
2. Male Hindi Filmgoers Gaze: An Ethnographic Interpretation of Gender Construction / Steve Derne and Lisa Jadwin
3. Women as Emblems of Culture and Nation: Conceptions of the Hindu Right and the Democratic Womens Movement / U. Vindhya
4. Gender Roles and Cultural Continuity in the Asian-Indian Immigrant Community in the US / Shamita Das Dasgupta
Section II: Violence
5. Dowry-murder: An Example of Violence Against Women / Jane Rudd
6. When Homes are Torture Chambers: Vimochanas Work with Victims of Domestic Violence / Vimochana
7. Sexual Harassment at the Workplace / Vibhuti Patel
8. Empowerment Approaches to Gender-based Violence: Womens Courts in Delhi Slums / Veronica Magar
Section III: Media
9. Men and Women in Indian Magazine Advertisements: A Preliminary Report / Mallika Das
10. The Womens Movement and the Press in India: The Construction of Female Foeticide as a Social Issue / Rashmi Luthra
11. Portrayals of Sexual Violence in Popular Hindi Films, 1997-99 / Srividya Ramasubramanian and Mary Beth Oliver
12. Packaging the Contemporary Woman in Television Fiction: Deconstructing the Role of Commerce and Tradition Centre for Advocacy and Research
19. Empowering Women through ICT Education: Facilitating Computer Adoption / Farida Umrani and Rehana Ghadially
20. ICT Initiatives, Women and Work: Reproducing or Changing Gender Inequalities / Shobha Arun, Richard Heeks and Sharon Morgan
Section VI: Politics and Political Participation
21. Gender and Nationalism: The Masculinisation of Hinduism and Female Political Participation / Sikata Banarjee
22. Greater Political Representation for Women: A Brief History of Events and Debates / Leela Kasturi
23. The Womens Question in Contemporary Politics / Vasanthi Raman.
Reminding us that the road to the complete empowerment of women in India is a long one, this book focuses on the globalization experiences of women from the Indian urban middle class. It covers: reconstructing gender; violence; media; neo-liberal globalization; information and communication technologies; and politics and political participation.