IIHS Bangalore City Campus Library, No 197/36, 2nd Main, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore - 560080, Karnataka
+91 80-67606666 Exn. 661 | Fax +91 80-23616814 | email@example.com
New forms of urbanization : beyond the urban-rural dichotomy / edited by Tony Champion and Graeme Hugo.
Contributor(s): Champion, Tony | Hugo, Graeme.Material type: BookPublisher: Surrey : Ashgate Publishing Limited, 2004Description: vii, 420 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.ISBN: 9780754635888 (hbk.).Subject(s): Urbanization -- Cross-cultural studies -- Congresses | Rural-urban migration -- Cross-cultural studies -- Congresses | Cities and towns -- Growth -- Cross-cultural studies -- Congresses | Human settlements -- Statistics -- Congresses | Urbanization -- Statistics -- CongressesDDC classification: 307.76 NEW Online resources: Table of contents
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore||307.76 NEW 001037 (Browse shelf)||Available||001037|
Browsing Indian Institute for Human Settlements, Bangalore Shelves Close shelf browser
|307.76 MURR 011010 The urbanism of exception : the dynamics of global city building in the twenty-first century /||307.76 NAT 001039 In the nature of cities : urban political ecology and the politics of urban metabolism /||307.76 NEL 012231 The social impacts of urban containment /||307.76 NEW 001037 New forms of urbanization : beyond the urban-rural dichotomy /||307.76 NEW 004651 Resilient cities : responding to peak oil and climate change /||307.76 NEW.M 007598 Cities as sustainable ecosystems : principles and practices /||307.76 NEW.M 012002 Resilient cities : overcoming fossil fuel dependence /|
Revised papers commissioned for and discussed at meetings of the Working Group on Urbanization of the IUSSP (International Union for the Scientific Study of Population) held in Bellagio, Italy.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -411) and index.
Pt. I. Introduction
1. Introduction: Moving Beyond the Urban-Rural Dichotomy / Tony Champion and Graeme Hugo
2. Lest We Re-invent the Wheel: Lessons from Previous Experience / Tony Champion
3. World Urbanization: Trends and Prospects / Hania Zlotnik
Pt. II. Regional Perspectives on Settlement Change
4. The Fading of City-Suburb and Metro-Nonmetro Distinctions in the United States / William H. Frey
5. Population Dynamics and Urbanization in Latin America: Concepts and Data Limitations / Alfredo E. Lattes, Jorge Rodriguez and Miguel Villa
6. Urbanization Trends in Asia: The Conceptual and Definitional Challenges / Gavin W. Jones
7. Analyzing Urbanization in Sub-Saharan Africa / Philippe Bocquier
Pt. III. Case Studies
8. The Transformation of the Urban System in Mexico / Gustavo Garza
9. Urban Development and Population Redistribution in Delhi: Implications for Categorizing Population / Veronique Dupont
10. Urbanization and Metropolitanization in Brazil: Trends and Methodological Challenges / Jose Marcos Pinto da Cunha
11. Changing Urbanization Processes and In Situ Rural-Urban Transformation: Reflections on China's Settlement Definitions / Yu Zhu
Pt. IV. Conceptualizing Settlement Systems
12. An Evolutionary Approach to Settlement Systems / Denise Pumain
13. The Conceptualization and Analysis of Urban Systems: A North American Perspective / Larry S. Bourne and Jim Simmons
14. The Nature of Rurality in Postindustrial Society / David L. Brown and John B. Cromartie
15. Rethinking 'Rurality' / Keith Halfacree
Pt. V. Moving from the Conceptual to the Operational
16. Multiple Dimensions of Settlement Systems: Coping with Complexity / Mike Coombes
17. Using Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems to Identify the Underlying Properties of Urban Environments / John R. Weeks
18. Reflections on the Review of Metropolitan Area Standards in the United States, 1990-2000 / James D. Fitzsimmons and Michael R. Ratcliffe
Pt. VI. The Way Forward
19. Conclusions and Recommendations / Graeme Hugo and Tony Champion.
"This book brings together a leading team of social scientists to present the latest information on urbanization around the world, highlighting examples of development patterns that are not adequately captured by the UN's type of reporting systems and drawing attention to other ways of representing current trends."--BOOK JACKET.